New Post: The Loot Paradox

loot slowly gravitated from reward to tool in the minds of our raiders. Eventually, they stopped sitting on their astronomical piles of DKP, preparing for an item that may never drop. They bid on any marginal upgrade they could get their hands on – the brushes that would paint the canvas of our raid team’s many successes.

And therein lies the paradox.

waiting to spend on “that one big drop”.

…waiting to spend it on…

raiders will ultimately go up against a brick wall

Maybe ‘run into a brick wall’? I’ve never heard it as go up against.

catapulting them back into the stone-age of what our raid goals were.

I’m not a super fan of this bit what about ‘regressing them back to previous raid goals’ or something similar?

Rest looks good.

1 Like

I got your edits in. Upon the reread of this, it was a tad unfocused. I’ve tried to square it away further. Hopefully my analogy/shitty MS Paint picture make a little bit more sense now.

To summarize it all in a nutshell:

• Failing clouds judgement
  • When we suddenly fail, we blame a lack of loot on our less-than-stellar dps, hps, and survivability.
  • When we suddenly succeed, we realize loot wasn’t the reason we were failing. We discover it is our own skill.
  • We seek to improve that skill by any means necessary.
  • One of the ways we determine we can increase that skill is by bringing better dps, hps, or survivability.
  • We get better dps, hps, and survivability through loot (among other ways).
  • Enjoy upgrades through repeated success, reinforcing the notion, until eventually hitting a brick-wall.
  • Failing clouds judgement.
  • When we suddenly fail, we blame a lack of loot on our less-than-stellar dps, hps, and survivability.

…and so on and so forth, rinse, repeat.

Please confirm that this is, in fact, what I am saying in my post.