Far too many players gave me grief on running add-ons, claiming they
weren’t necessary, only to turn around make horrible mistakes, act
like amateurs, and then throw their arms up in denial, blaming
something else for their shitty performance. With Gunsmokeco, I wasn’t
concerned. He delivered top performance with every raid he set foot
into – a trait which helped play a role in his recruitment into The
Eh Team. So I was fine with Guns letting the use of add-ons fall to
the wayside.

What I wasn’t fine with was his approach.

You’re missing a third picture.

This turned my attention to Gunsmokeco, the prime candidate, and best
suited for the task.

This turned my attention to Cheeseus’ Gunsmokeco, …

Your Yogg paragraph - Do you want to load it with some of his abilities to help those who haven’t dealt with him to be able to click and see what’s going on, or keep it clean? It’s been some of one way, some of the other in the past.

Averting our gaze from the hundred mouths, desperate to sink their
teeth in.

Add a bit more to this? Just like “waiting to sink their teeth into us” or something? I can see what you’re going for, it just feels like it’s missing that little bit at the end.

Heroic: The Descent into Madness was finished.

Linky this one, fo’ sho’.

Some we completed by accident

Nothing we did in a raid I lead was by accident -.- :stuck_out_tongue:

Yet for all the progress we made and achievements that spammed guild
chat, three months had passed and nerfs continued to flow in, a subtle
reminder that Blizzard’s end-goal was to get more folks to raid. More
folks to raid.

I don’t know what’s up with me today, but if you could find a link for the nerfs, it might add more effect. If readers see we completed things, then yogg was nerfed by 15% or something, it would show how much catering to casuals was already happening, which could be subtle foreshadowing?

“Birthday weekend, be busy all weekend.”

Requires a person to log on to the forums to see. Could you maybe take a screen shot or something and link instead, so casual readers who don’t have an account on the forums can see it w/o needing to register/you having a lot of new registrations for something that is essentially dead?

Let me think on this; it’s a double-edged sword. On one hand, detail is great – as you’ve pointed out, people may not be familiar with all the mechanics. On the other, it could get unruly, esp. with encounters like Yogg. I do not want to get caught up in the trap of “my blog post is just a story version of the boss strat”, a trap I’ve fallen into a couple of times already. The point of the blog is to tell a story, so if there are elements of the boss strat that progress said story, I’ll dig into them. As you’ve probably gathered, the focus of this was my point-of-view and the struggles of the tank rotation in that final phase – which doesn’t go into the details of melee inside the mind visions beating on Yogg’s brain.

Having said that, I’ll give this another set of eyeballs and see if there are a few more specifics I can touch on.

I think it’s perfectly fine to leave some things up to the reader to fill in. :wink:

Agreed. That was the intent; I think it could be phrased better.

Yep, you’re right. I only name the Attuned to Nature nerf in the post, but many more came, including Yogg itself, the week before we killed it (even though we were so terribly close it was practically a non-factor). I’ll see what I can do here. The great thing about linking to the exact old posts is that it gives the reader context and adds a bit of credibility to what I’m saying…

…the bad news is that if/when I convert it all to an eBook, those resources may all go away.

fffffshit. I totally missed the registration requirement. I’ll see about turning them into screenshots.

Let me think on this; it’s a double-edged sword. On one hand, detail
is great – as you’ve pointed out, people may not be familiar with all
the mechanics. On the other, it could get unruly, esp. with encounters
like Yogg. I do not want to get caught up in the trap of “my blog post
is just a story version of the boss strat”, a trap I’ve fallen into a
couple of times already. The point of the blog is to tell a story, so
if there are elements of the boss strat that progress said story, I’ll
dig into them. As you’ve probably gathered, the focus of this was my
point-of-view and the struggles of the tank rotation in that final
phase – which doesn’t go into the details of melee inside the mind
visions beating on Yogg’s brain.

Having said that, I’ll give this another set of eyeballs and see if
there are a few more specifics I can touch on.

Sorry, I didn’t communicate effectively. When I say link I mean like:
Faceless Horrors - http://www.wowhead.com/npc=33772/faceless-horror#abilities:mode=n25

Shit like that. If you have links built in so people could click and that place would give them insight as to what inside yogg’s visions were, maybe a youtube link, your paragraph would remain the same. It would give those who know what’s going on the same story, and those who dont can click to additional resources and find out more, should they wish.

Yep, you’re right. I only name the Attuned to Nature nerf in the post,
but many more came, including Yogg itself, the week before we killed
it (even though we were so terribly close it was practically a
non-factor). I’ll see what I can do here. The great thing about
linking to the exact old posts is that it gives the reader context and
adds a bit of credibility to what I’m saying…

…the bad news is that if/when I convert it all to an eBook, those
resources may all go away.

Same as above. I’m looking for wowhead or something links. It will let new people click to learn as much as they want, and the integrity of your post remains the same.

fffffshit. I totally missed the registration requirement. I’ll see
about turning them into screenshots.

Can you make registration no longer required, since I don’t think it’s being used any more?

only to turn around make horrible mistakes

“…turn around and make horrible mistakes” If you are worried about using and twice in the list you can remove the and before “then throw up their arms” as there is a comma there.

Meanwhile, panic-stricken players lost sight of their sanity, stared blindly at Yogg-Saron like deer in the headlights while they focused on damage.

“staring”

Sanity drifted away, and they would soon turn to each other, cutting into the flesh of one another rather than the real enemy.

This sentence sounds disjointed to me. Maybe “Once their sanity drifted away, they would turn to each other, cutting into the flesh of one another rather than the real enemy.”

We continued on, trying to call out which tank was next on which taunt, who would be responsible for turning the faceless horrors toward us, praying that we had one last cooldown to blow to stay alive while DPS worked through the final bit of health remaining on the Old God. Averting our gaze from the hundred mouths, desperate to sink their teeth in.

It is fine to leave some things to the reader but having sentence fragments isn’t great. Maybe just split this paragraph at a different point: “We continued on, trying to call out which tank was next on which taunt, who would be responsible for turning the faceless horrors toward us, praying that we had one last cooldown to blow to stay alive. DPS worked through the final bit of health remaining on the Old God; all the while averting their gaze from the hundred mouths, desperate to sink their teeth in.”

or executions under excruciating duress.

Always avoid alliteration. This isn’t quite there but sounds a bit better if you replace excruciating with intense or agonizing.

My hesitance lingered; I didn’t want to disrupt that balance of Raider-to-Elite; both were needed, and neither could dominate an entire role.

You can full stop here after Raider to Elite, I think there is a limit to how many semicolons you can string together. If need be you can change “Both groups were needed…” so the second bit isn’t a fragment.

I mean cancelling to stuff

“cancelling for stuff”

1 Like