for it contained a far more impactful gating process – one not tied
simply to quest execution or an arbitrary gold sink. At the dawn of a
new era of raiding which embraced the masses, Ulduar’s real challenge
lay protected behind gates that only the accomplished and proven would
reach. Unlike Naxxramas, The Eye of Eternity, or Obsidian Sanctum,
where players could throw themselves at hard modes without having a
shred of competency to stand on, there were specific encounters in
Ulduar that tested your worthiness, rather than your ability to smash
your head against a brick wall – again, and again, and again.

You had to have the DPS necessary to break XT-002’s heart.

You couldn’t destroy any Saronite Vapors.

You needed to get to Sif before she left Thorim’s side…

…You had to defeat Yogg-Saron minus keepers in order to craft Val’anyr.

Father’s Day weekend was fast approaching, and – like Mother’s Day – a handful of people chose to spend it with their folks.

Doesn’t work as well with an em dash change to: “Father’s Day weekend was fast approaching and, like Mother’s Day, a handful of people chose to spend it with their folks.”

By bringing his Boomkin, he could do far less damage to the raid.

If you really wanted to be cruel, you could mention “and about the same amount of damage to the bosses/trash mobs,” heyo!

I had more people to promote and no available slots to play with – not without locking an entire role out of rotations.

No real drama here, would work better as a semicolon. “I had more people to promote and no available slots to play with; at least not without locking an entire role out of rotations.”

You are expected to be present at every raid

In the article the “t” in “be present” didn’t get italicized.

My only option was to pursue a modification to the Elite expectations, changing the verbiage from “You are expected to be present at every raid”, to “You are expected to sign up for every raid” – which negated one of the primary perks of being Elite: their guaranteed spot.

Em dash makes this quite run-on (don’t be afraid of a new sentence). Full stop after “You are expected to sign up for every raid.” and then “This negated one of the primary perks of being Elite: their guaranteed spot.”

If the verbiage wasn’t right…if I didn’t handle it with enough delicacy, I risked a mutiny of the core 25-Man progression raiders; those very folks who I sought desperately to prevent alienating in the first place.

This isn’t too bad but if you wanted to you could full stop after “…I risked a mutiny of the core 25-Man progression raiders.” and then “These being the very folks who I sought desperately to prevent alienating in the first place.”

The model of Elite was already based on what struck me as the perfect employee, someone who is communicative, hard-working, goes above and beyond the call of duty – something Ater had pointed out to me in those many lunch hours we spent together in '07.

Ah geez…After “perfect employee” there should be a colon as the next bit is a list of examples. Full stop after “duty” and then "This was something Ater had pointed out to me in those many lunch hours we spent together in '07. Remember the em dash is not a full stop, it is something in-between a period and a comma (similar to a semicolon) but here I think this becomes too much to finish in one breath hence the need for two sentences.

You flipped the switch if…and only if…you could reach it.

Usually the if and only if statement is presented together and the ellipsis is used to build tension. If that’s the case I’d suggest “You flipped the switch…if and only if you could reach it.”

Unlike Naxxramas, The Eye of Eternity, or Obsidian Sanctum, where players could throw themselves at hard modes without having a shred of competency to stand on, there were specific encounters in Ulduar that tested your worthiness, rather than your ability to smash your head against a brick wall – again, and again, and again.

Oh boy. I think we need a full stop after “worthiness” and change “rather than your ability to smash…” to “It was not the type of instance to be persuaded by the ability to smash your head against a brick wall — again, and again, and again.” Or similar, reword as needed.

Raiders were compelled to choose those hard mode judiciously

hard modes

Raiders were compelled to choose those hard mode judiciously, to be prepared…as opposed to raiders of the past, mindlessly throwing themselves at Patchwerk in blissful ignorance, wondering why they were nowhere near the 3-minute kill achievement.

I’ll allow it.

1 Like

“I had more people to promote and no available slots to play with; at least not without locking an entire role out of rotations.”

You can only combine two independent clauses with a semicolon. “At least not without locking an entire role out of rotations” is a dependent clause.

I DID ONE YAY! I could be wrong though. Could be.

1 Like

Yup, should be a comma.

Excellent pass of edits, as usual @Dalans.

I’m glad to see you saw got my double meaning! WORKING AS INTENDED.