New Post: Dead Men Do No Deeps

In most cases, I’d take data pouring out of the simulation with all the seriousness of a spilled salt shaker. A million and one factors separated simulation from reality. How much movement does the encounter force upon the player? Are there piles of adds to have to deal with…and are those adds even a priority for the DK? What degree of survivability goes into the encounter? Are you forced to face the boss in order to stay alive, thereby increasing how much the boss dodges and parries? How many DPS cooldowns are sacrificed in order to stay alive? It’s hard to rank on World of Logs when you’re face down in the dirt. Many raid encounters had their handful of gimmicks and environmental considerations, all of which could skew what a player was capable of producing, vs. the actual damage that filled up a Recount meter.

That’s why I loved Deathbringer Saurfang.

I’d take data pouring out of the simulation with all the seriousness of a spilled salt shaker.

More just a question I guess, where are you going with this analogy as I’m unsure how you feel about spilled salt…

A few moments passed, then the bong of an invite request rang out of my
speakers. I accepted the request, then promptly popped open the Arena
Team interface to read our team’s name:

N GGERS

I stared at the screen, and had no words. This was going to be a long Arena season.

So about that not being a huge bucket of douche. AHAHAHAHAHAHA

to a bogus report all alon

Add a ‘g’

I zoomed in the the telltale deep blood red color that painted death knights in reports.

I’m guessing this should be 'zoomed in on the…"

1 Like

Why is it you don’t mention synti until the end? When this dk is mentioned it seems like you are trying to are trying to leave him/her unnamed.

The intent was to hyperbolize the concept of taking information “with a grain of salt”, implying it was tons of salt. So really take it lightly.

Y’know, I thought about that. The person really doesn’t matter, it was just a random death knight I picked at the time that happen to be top-ranked, and felt like using the player’s name might make the read a little less dry. But perhaps name-dropping might confuse the reader into thinking “Synti” is important somehow?

Maybe I should just refer to Synti as “the other death knight”…interested to hear what others think as well.

Are you forced to face the boss in order to stay alive, thereby increasing how much the boss dodges and parries

Face the front of the boss. If you’re not facing the boss at all, well you’re a god damn wizard (or warlock who i think you can face away while channeling something)

How many DPS cooldowns are sacrificed in order to stay alive? It’s hard to rank on World of Logs when you’re face down in the dirt.

Put this at the end of the paragraph?

My gut knew exactly what my Achilles heel was the entire time

Forgot your period.

Most dismissed the crowd as a bucket of d-bags that weren’t worth the time or energy.

the raiding crowd?

I see where you’re going with this. “Face the boss” could mean two things:

1. Finally get your shit together enough to attempt the encounter, after being a holdout.
  2. Step around to the front so you look the boss in the eyes.

My intent here was obviously #2. As a matter of style, I’ll probably leave as is.

Debatable. I seem to be getting away with injecting my second-voice/conscious/gut by using italics like this. The final sentence of the paragraph should conclude the intro, which is essentially “simulated damage should be treated as such.”

…No? The PvP crowd? Which is what is being introduced at the start of that paragraph?:

In the days of the Burning Crusade, PvPers I shoved into Serpenshrine Cavern, like Ouleg, were the most alien in the roster.

Is it really still too confusing?

Yes, too confusing. I have maybe 15 min to make all my notes :stuck_out_tongue:

Face the front of the boss. You don’t have to face Yogg to beat him. Your orientation, as well as your position to bosses is a mechanic thing and should be differentiated, especially since you’re speaking strictly about mechanics.

Concur. This wins it, imho. Updating.

If your intention wasn’t to name the dk then I’d just leave the name out of it. Otherwise just refer to the name throughout.

1 Like

N GGERS.

Sentra being obscene or referencing an awesome Southpark scene?

Southpark, no matter how much I like it, can definitely be described as obscene. No context, you cannot put the combination of letters “N GGERS” and have someone think it is something other than the racial slur.

Because “Southpark did it” isn’t really an excuse either. I wouldn’t be walking around in public calling groups of black people “pipe hitting bitches” because “I watched Anchorman 2 the other day.” Sorry Randal you can’t bring back Porch Monkey.

Don’t get me wrong I love being offensive, even racially in the right environments but you have to be smooth about it. Having that PvP team name ain’t it.

2 Likes

With that name bit sorted it reads much better.

1 Like

Now, I’m not racist, BUT…

That line only ends well.

What does every black joke start with? A look over your shoulder.